Give your child the gift of a mentor — and a new friend.
Mentoring works! Having a mentor in their life lets a child know they have someone who cares about them. Someone who will listen. It provides them with a friend and positive role model.
A study on the Big Brothers Big Sisters youth organization found that kids matched with a Big Brother or Big Sister:
- Are more confident
- Are more likely to steer clear of drugs and alcohol
- Do better in school
- Get along better with their family and friends feel better about themselves.
Parents are our Partners.
We’ll work closely with you because your input is important. Not only do you provide information about your child’s strengths and needs, but you approve the selection of the Big Brother or Big Sister. Once the match is made, parents remain closely involved in several key ways.
Your child’s safety is very important to us.
Big Brothers Big Sisters conducts a thorough background check on every volunteer in our mentoring programs and every match is regularly reviewed by a professional trained match coordinator.
To help ensure child safety, Big Brothers Big Sisters National Standards of Excellence require the following steps to be taken:
- Completion of a formal written application
- A criminal history record check
- References Checks
- An in-person interview
- An assessment of their home environment (for community-based mentoring)
- A professional assessment of their appropriateness to volunteer with a child
- An orientation and training process that outlines the individualized needs of your child and provides information and resources on how to encourage your child’s healthy development.
Ready to learn more? Please choose a program type: